We use cookies to help make this website more user-friendly.

The basic package of the Overseas Social Security consists of three insurance policies:

  • pension insurance,
  • incapacity for work and disability insurance (including pregnancy), and
  • a deferred insurance policy for medical care.

By joining the Overseas Social Security, you ensure that your years of service outside the EEA, Switzerland or the United Kingdom are taken into account for your pension.

The basic package always includes these 3 insurance policies, unless you are a national of a country that is not a member of the European Economic Area (EEA)(New window) or Switzerland.

When are you protected by the Overseas Social Security?

You are insured:

  • while you work in a country outside the EEA, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, and
  • while you are temporarily (no more than 6 months) seconded from your overseas post with an A1 certificate of Coverage (page in French)(New window)> to an EEA country (except Belgium), Switzerland or the United Kingdom, and
  • during your holidays, wherever they take place (all contractual leaves immediately following the periods mentioned above), and,
  • upon request, during a period of no more than 12 months immediately following one of these periods, to the extent that you did not exercise any other gainful activity. Please note that receiving unemployment benefit is considered a gainful activity.

Who can join?

The Overseas Social Security is open to you if you work outside the EEA(New window), Switzerland or the United Kingdom. In order to join, you need to be:

  • a Belgian national, or
  • a national of a member state of the EEA or Switzerland, or
  • a national of another country, but work for the Belgian state, regions or communities, or for a company with its registered office in Belgium.

A note for nationals of the EEA or Switzerland (except Belgium)

Are you keeping your residence in an EEA member state or Switzerland (Belgium excepted) while you work as an expat? In that case, you can only join the Belgian Overseas Social Security if your country of residence does not provide its own compulsory social security scheme for expats working outside of the EEA, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.

Are you no national of the EEA or Switzerland?

In that case the basic package for Medical care can differ. Read more on page on Nationals of countries outside the EEA or Switzerland.

How much does it cost?

To a certain extent, you choose your contribution yourself: there is a minimum contribution and a maximum contribution. The amount of your contribution is mainly important for the amount of your pension. Your sickness and disability benefit also increases the more you contribute.

The monthly basic amount of your contribution is between € and €.

Are you a national of a country outside the EEA or Switzerland? Then other contribution formulas are possible for you. You can find them in the section Nationals of countries outside the EEA or Switzerland.

These supplementary insurance policies may also be of interest to you...

Back to Top